Today is Chef’s birthday. Here are eight reasons why I love him:
1. He cracks himself up. Even when he tells a joke that I don’t think is funny at all, I often can’t help but laugh because he is doubled over, guffawing at his own humor.
2. He expands my horizons. Before I met him, I had never gone camping, eaten Thai food, been to Michigan or Colorado or Alaska, owned a dog, run farther than a mile, or caught a fish.
3. He is supportive. When I have an opportunity to do something that seems kind of exciting but also a little scary, he encourages me and tells me I can do it and will probably love it.
4. He gives fabulous hugs.
5. He’s always looking for little ways to make me happy — taking me to do something new like go-kart racing, or planning something we enjoy together like miniature golf (even though he knows I cheat sometimes), or bringing me a bowl of ice cream after dinner.
6. He thanks me every time I cook for him. Sure, I thank him, too, when he cooks, but it’s just really nice to be appreciated. He also thanks me for doing the laundry.
7. He’s funny. I can’t believe I keep publicly admitting it, though I’m proud of myself for at least holding out until number 7 to say it. A lot of the time he really does tell bad jokes, but sometimes he does have a doozy that I actually laugh at.
8. He loves me, and he tells me and shows me every day.