Oh, Endorphins, How I’ve Missed You!

(Originally published as a Facebook note, Tuesday, June 16, 2009)

Last week was a difficult week to get a run in. I ran on Sunday (six miles), and I always rest on Mondays. Tuesday I had planned to run, but my darling husband has been so busy lately that instead I decided to grab some time with him instead. Wednesday, due to a change in my work schedule, there was no time to run between getting home from work and leaving for church. So finally on Thursday I made a date with myself to run. It was raining on Thursday and my father-in-law had made some comment about there being nothing nicer than a run in the rain. I took that as encouragement.

By the time I got home, though, the rain had stopped and the weather was hot and humid. Still, I had made a date with myself, so I hurried into my running clothes (because if I sat down before changing, it would have been all over) and headed out the door. One mile around the town and then down to the park. About a quarter of the way around the almost-one-mile track, I looked across the creek and saw a fox cantering through backyards. I was amazed. It’s not often one sees a fox, much less in the middle of the afternoon in Smalltown! I had to stop and watch it for a while. It stopped running and sniffed around in the grass for a long time. Finally I decided to let him be and continue on my run.

I kept on my way, various thoughts about life flitting through my head, when I felt that maybe God was trying to tell me something. At least, he put a bug in my ear. I tried to get it out, but then started to fear that I had just pushed it in further. I don’t know what actually happened to the bug. I do hope it’s not still there.

Second lap, and the fox is still there, across the creek, sniffing around! I was very surprised that he hadn’t taken cover yet. I stopped running and watched him a while longer. Finally, he crept into the woods to hide.

I rounded the track again, and the bluegrass band that had been setting up was finally ready and had started playing. I don’t usually run to music; the earbuds never stay in my ears, plus I prefer to hear what’s going on around me. I can honestly say this was the first time I had run to “Dueling Banjos.” Not a bad song to run to, actually — nice tempo.

After mile three, I decided I’d had a good run. I’d experienced the endorphins I’d been missing for the last four days, saw things in nature I don’t ordinarily see, and heard some talented musicians. Plus it was stinkin’ muggy. Time to go home for a cool shower and glass of cold chocolate milk.


Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: